So you are traveling and want to stay clean and healthy but seen sure how with the meetings, family obligations, social outings, etc? Here are my Top 3 Tips for Eating healthy while on the road!
1). PACK your food!
- Maybe not every meal- but enough food for you to keep your metabolism high by eating often
- Pack quick and easy things like Garden of Life's individual Raw Protein packets and a shaker bottle (found at Whole Foods), packets of almond butter, whole grain crackers, hard boiled egg whites and other easy healthy foods!
- My personal favorite? Packets of instant oats, almond butter packets and protein powder packets- get a cup of hot water and pour over oats, add almond butter and protein powder and viola! You have a complete meal with ratios of protein/carb/fat to keep your energy high and keep you going on your long travel days!
- TSA allows ALL Food through security domestically- fresh, frozen, packets- just make sure any liquids are in 3oz bottles
- Invest in a cooler like a vino temp rolling cooler that plugs into a wall outlet and fits into the overhead! www.vinotemp.com
2.). PLAN out your trip!
- Research and plan out some restaurants you know have healthy offerings
- When eating out, order your proteins cooked 'dry' with no butters/oils/sauces and your carbohydrates 'dry' like baked potatoes and sweet potatoes with no toppings. Order your veggies steamed and ask what alternatives they have for certain things (ie: brown rice vs white)
- Order lean proteins like egg whites in place of eggs, sirloin in place of ribeye, chicken, fresh fish, shellfish, lean pork tenderloin and turkey.
3.) HYDRATE with LOTS of water!
- Travel stress and long hours of sitting can cause the body to retain water- be sure to continue drinking the same amount of water you do ok normal days on your trip!
- Restaurant and take out (even at healthy establishments) has excess sodium and will also cause your body to retain water- continuing to drink the recommended water amount each day will keep you from retaining
- Travel stress can also cause digestive issues- keeping up on your water intake can help you to flush and detox you body and aid in digestion
- Tip: Bring a large water bottle with you in your carry on- or just carry it on the side. Ask a coffee shop in the airport for ice and fill it up once you are through security. You will have a water bottle to carry around with you on your trip!
Like my tips? Follow me on Twitter @DNutrotionista and watch me LIVE on the Today's Show this Wednesday, August 14 with Kathie Lee and Hoda- 10am EST where the Women's Health Next Fitness Star will be announced! Hear my story at www.thenextfitnessstar.com